Peters sends Maccabi Blue into cup final

Carl Peters's header sent Maccabi Manchester into the final of the Tony Cohen Memorial Trophy following a hard-fought win over Leeds Maccabi



LEEDS MACCABI 1 MACCABI MANCHESTER BLUE 2 (Manchester won 4-3 on aggregate)

This second-leg tie was nicely set up after the first meeting finished 2-2. After a closely fought first half that ended 0-0, Manchester took the lead early in the second half, as the impressive Max Rose played a pinpoint ball into the path of Danny Stapleton, who lobbed the Leeds keeper from the edge of the box.

Manchester doubled their lead a few minutes later when midfield maestro Jordan Kaye crossed a free-kick on to the head of the onrushing centre-back Carl Peters, who expertly guided his header into the corner, for his second goal in two games.

Leedsi then rallied at 2-0 down and applied pressure on the Blues defence, managing to force a well-deserved goal through Daniel Shaw from a goalmouth scramble. 

But Manchester stood firm to secure their place in the final. Manager Aaron Levin said: “I was delighted with the application from our young squad, especially 17-year old Jamie Hatton, who was exceptional.

“Our goals were brilliantly taken and I didn’t know that Carl Peters came with the reputation of a ruthless goal-scorer!

"We look forward to the final and as promised, I will be wearing a suit for the occasion."

Manchester Maccabi 1st team also progressed in the Manchester FA County Cup with an impressive victory over Whalley Range.

Aaron Goldman was the stand-out performer, netting seven times in the 15-0 mauling. Maccabi face AFC Urmston Meadowside next weekend in a top of the table clash.

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive