- For the pastry: rub the butter into the flour until you have a sandy texture, then add the beaten egg, vanilla, sea salt and honey (or syrup) and mix well to form a dough. Use to line a nonstick 25cm fluted, loose-bottom tin, spreading the dough evenly over the bottom and sides. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 160°C (150°C fan).
- When firm, lightly prick the base with a fork before baking blind - remove the baking beans after 10 minutes, bake for a further 5 minutes until the base is lightly golden. Leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, rub the butter into the ground almonds until sandy in consistency. In a separate bowl or jug, beat the egg, honey and almond extract then pour this into the bowl with the ground almonds and butter and mix until smooth.
- Spread the jam evenly over the base of the cooled pastry case.
- Pour the almond mixture evenly over the jam. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds then gently press the raspberries into the surface.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 40 minutes until golden then remove and leave to cool. The top will crisp as it cools.
- Once cool, remove from the tin, sprinkle with the icing sugar and serve with a generous dollop of mascarpone or clotted cream.
Gluten free raspberry Bakewell
Bring on the berries with this free-from twist on a classic
- PRE 30 mins + chilling
- COOK 55 mins
- SERVES 12 - 14
240g brown rice flour
80g salted butter at room temperature (or dairy free butter if required)
80ml mild honey or agave syrup
1 large egg, beaten)
1 tsp vanilla paste or seeds of 1 vanilla pod
1 pinch sea salt
200g ground almonds
150g salted butter at room temperature (or dairy free butter if required)
2 large eggs, (beaten)
180ml honey or agave syrup
¼ tsp almond extract
284g raspberry or strawberry jam, sugar free
30g flaked almonds
Icing sugar, optional
Custard, mascarpone or clotted cream