This is also delicious with labneh, cream cheese or full fat yogurt.
- For the bread: Mix the flour, yeast and water until they form a neat ball. Knead the dough on a clean worktop and for about minutes, adding a little flour if it is very sticky.
- Add the salt the continue to knead for 5 minutes. Add the nuts and dried figs and knead again until the dough is very elastic and springy when prodded — this will take a good 20 minutes by hand in total, less if using a mixer.
- Leave the dough to rise either on your worktop covered with the bowl or in a clean bowl covered in cling film for at least 1 ½ to 2 hours (more if you have time) until it at least doubles in size. The temperature of the room has to be warm to help the rising process.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and shape into loaves. Lay onto an oven tray lined with baking parchment and leave to rise again for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
- For the tapenade: Blitz all the ingredients together in a food processor and serve, drizzled with olive oil, with the bread.