This Middle Eastern inspired dish makes a wonderful starter for a festive meal. As well as being packed with healthy ingredients, it is also beautiful to look at.
Serves: 4-6 as a starter. Preparation time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 45 minutes.
● 4 large aubergines
● Olive oil
● Maldon sea salt
● Cracked black pepper
● Garlic granules
● 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
● 1 red chilli, (optional)
● 1 pomegranate, deseeded
● 4 tbsp of tahini
● 2 tbsp acacia honey
● Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
● 4 white pita breads
● Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6
● Remove the stalk from the top of each aubergine, then cut each one into 4 or 5 slices lengthways, depending how thick your aubergines are.
● Put in a large bowl and toss to coat in a generous amount of olive oil. Lay on 2 roasting trays and season on both sides with garlic granules salt and black pepper.
● Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, turning occasionally until tender, then leave to cool. When cool, fold into bundles.
● Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds on medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, remove the seeds when they darken and become fragrant, then put to one side.
● Deseed and finely chop the chilli.
● On a large platter, place bundles of the aubergines around the plate.
● Spoon the tahini paste around the plate.
● Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze the acacia honey around the plate.
● Scatter the finely chopped red chilli and garnish with the toasted sesame seeds, fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds.
● Serve with the pita bread warmed and sliced into lengths.