Northern Football round-up: October 21


Manchester Maccabi 1st cruised into the second round of the Peter Morrison Trophy after crushing Oakhill Lions.

Maccabi, who won the competition in 2010, were rarely troubled by the MJSL side as they cruised to a 7-1 victory.

Martin Simons’ side will now take on FC Cosmos for a place in the Third Round.

Republic of Flixton grabbed a dramatic 3-2 win over Sierra Stars in the opening round of the Manchester FA Sunday Cup.

Trailing by a single goal at the break against the Manchester Amateur Sunday League side, Republic hit back through Leor Sidle to take the game into extra-time.

Rob Jacobs looked to have won it for the MJSL side deep into extra-time, only for Sierra to level and leave the teams facing a penalty shoot-out.

But with just seconds remaining, James Rosenberg lashed home a dramatic winner to put Republic into the hat for the next round.

With league leaders Republic in cup action, Haroldeans cut the deficit at the top to just three points following a 5-1 win over Manchester Maccabi 3rd 5-1.

Ali Goldsmith scored twice for the Merseysiders with Matt Alis, Jame Harris and Josh Silverberg also on target to help Haroldeans keep up the pressure at the top.

Yossi Brownson grabbed a consolation for Maccabi, who sit eight points off the top.

South Manchester SC 2nd grabbed a 3-2 win at Leeds Maccabi 2nd in a five-goal thriller.

Leeds Maccabi 2nd, who were previously Leeds Maccabi 3rd following last week’s MJSL decision, fell to defeat following strikes from Nathan Ezair, Gary Stewart and an own-goal.

Leeds Maccabi Students gained a point in their first game since being rebranded from Leeds Maccabi 2nd.

Joav Kestenbaum and Daniel Akiva were both on target during the 2-2 draw with Crumpsall 1st.

Shiran Cremer scored twice for Crumpsall 1st, who have taken four points from their opening five games.

Jake Kelly and Paul Clayton were both on target as Manchester Maccabi 2nd were held to a 2-2 draw by FC Cosmos.

Andrew Shaffer scored from the penalty spot and Daniel Klapisch also got on the scoresheet for the visitors.

Broughton remain bottom of the league following a 2-1 defeat by Crumpsall 2nd.

Moishe Klyne and Michael Pine got the goals for the visitors with Broughton’s strike coming through Daniel Rose.

South Manchester Sports Club 1st survived an almighty scare as they let a three-goal lead slip before eventually winning 4-3.

Adam Lavin scored a dramatic winner after two goals from Adam Jackson and a Ben Peppi strike had given them a first-half lead.

Leeds Maccabi 1st booked their place in the Third Round of the League and District Cup with a 4-2 win over Water into Beer FC.

Richard Black scored twice with Dave Woolman and Dan Seligman also on target.

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive