Maccabi tumble out of the cup


Manchester Maccabi 1st bowed out of the Margaret Piggot Memorial Cup after going down 2-1 against RVP.

Constant overnight rain and a ferocious howling wind made for a not so welcoming arena as Maccabi entertained fellow premier division opponents in the main cup for the league.

With striker Luc Fracheboud having returned to his home country, manager Scott McGarvey brought in bright prospect, David Herman up front to partner Leor Sidle.

However the strong start that McGarvey requested was thrown into disarray after 5 minutes as Maccabi were not switched on at an early RVP free kick leaving the visitors left winger totally unmarked to volley home an early lead.

Matters were compounded when centre half Carl Peters turned on the edge of his area but his right foot stayed in the turf. He was clearly in some distress with his knee and time will tell on the extent and recovery of his injury. A reorganisation followed and 1st team stalwart Leon Huller came on, Captain Ashley Loofe moved into defence and Sidle dropped into midfield.

Maccabi, playing against the strong wind, finally found their feet and started playing their quick brand of fluid football which created good openings with the ball flashing across the visitors’ box. However these were spurned by some poor final finishing.

After the break and with the wind now in their backs Maccabi attacked with purpose and it appeared only a matter of time before a breakthrough would come. When it did it had a large slice of luck attached, as a free kick from the left by Anthony Jacobs evaded everyone and skipped off the wet surface to eventually bury itself in the far corner of the net.

Maccabi pushed forward again for the winner and RVP were struggling to cope with the pressure of the attacks.

The game however changed in a split second as a high ball into the Maccabi box which was drifting wide was mishandled by keeper Dan Garman, and a scramble for the ball ended with the RVP falling to the ground and the referee awarding a penalty. Garman had been complaining of illness before and during the game, and possibly should not have taken the field, and this appeared to have contributed to the error.

At 2-1 down Maccabi pushed to recover again, and although they created numerous openings, further poor finishing meant the opposing keeper was able to keep his goal intact.

A good game in difficult conditions left Maccabi nursing a 2-1 loss in a game they know they should have won, but as at any level, missed chances will cost them dear.

The next fixture November 8 away to old rivals Charlestown CYC.

Maccabi: Garman, Buxton, Lee, Peters, Jacobs, Leeker, Chaytow, Loofe, Davidson, Sidle, Herman. Subs: Huller, Greene

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive