closeicon

Iran rights lawyer sentenced for 11 years

November 24, 2016 22:59

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR201101...

Sotoudeh, who was arrested in September and not allowed the customary leave on bail, was found guilty of "acting against national security" and making "propaganda against the system." The judge also convicted her for being a member of the Defenders Human Rights Center.

Should we wait for Israeli intellectuals to sign a letter criticising the Iranian dictature for (not just enquiring about the funding but) sending to jail for 11 years a non-violent human rights activist? For "propaganda against the system".
If that was applied in Israel, 99% of the population would be in jail and the other 1% would be the prison guards.
But then it would be, like Iran, a religious dictature of the worse kind.

Double standards are a sure sign of antisemitism.

November 24, 2016 22:59

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive