- Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Place your Brussels sprouts on one side of the tray and the butternut squash cubes on the other.
- Season with salt and pepper, drizzle the vegetables with 1 tbsp olive oil and gently rubbing it all over the vegetables, making sure to keep them separate. l Roast for 30 minutes, checking after 15 minutes and turning the vegetables to prevent burning.
- Put the kale into a large mixing bowl (removing any large stalks) and squeeze the lemon juice over it with two large pinches of sea salt.
- With clean hands, start rubbing the kale between your hands, keeping going until the colour deepens, it feels soft, and the leaves wilt. Discard any more tough stalks you find along the way, this can take up to five minutes.
- To make the pesto: reserve 10g of pine nuts for garnish then finely chop the rest. Put them in a mixing bowl with the finely chopped basil leaves, parmesan, and some seasoning. Mix with the olive oil and taste again for seasoning. (Or blitz all the ingredient together.)
- Put the massaged kale in a large mixing bowl and spoon over 3/4 of the pesto dressing and mix.
- Add the roasted vegetables and gently mix together. Spread out on a serving platter, adding a final spoonful or two of pesto and scatter with the remaining toasted pine nuts.
Roasted Brussel sprout and curly kale pesto salad
This salad is delicious warm or cold served with grilled fish.
- PRE 30 minutes
- COOK 30 minutes
- SERVES 4 - 6
250g peeled Brussels sprouts, cut in half
200g sliced curly kale (washed)
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
1 tbsp olive oil
½ lemon, juice
Sea salt and black pepper
12g fresh basil, finely chopped
30g pine nuts, lightly toasted
30g parmesan, finely grated
5 tbsp olive oi
10g pine nuts, toasted