Preparation: 1hr 30mins
Cooking: 45 minutes
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 red onion
1 white onion
50ml olive oil
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp each: paprika and cumin
4 x 450g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 small tin of tomato purée
500 ml veg stock
150ml white wine
1 heaped tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper
Handful of crumbled feta
Half bunch of chopped parsley
Zhoug (ingredients below)
2 cardamon pods
2 green chillies
1 garlic clove
● Slice all the vegetables thinly and heat the oil over a high heat in a large saucepan.
● Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown
● Add the garlic and cook for another minute before adding both peppers and sweating for another 5 minutes.
● Add the cumin and paprika and cook for another minute or 2 until it smells sweet.
● Add all other ingredients, reduce to a low heat and cook for 45 minutes until it is rich and thick, stirring frequently to make sure it doesn't catch the bottom of the pan.
● Place the sauce in a frying pan with a touch of water over a high heat.
● Make 8 wells in the sauce and drop your eggs into them. Cover with a lid until eggs are nicely poached.
● For the zhoug: blitz all ingredients very well together in a blender.
● Finish with all remaining garnish scattered over the top and drizzle the zhoug over the top. Serve immediately.