Can’t find ground hazelnuts? Blitz whole nuts in your food processor but don’t go too far or they’ll be oily. Adding a little sugar from the recipe will absorb the oil while processing.
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- In a bowl mix the sugar, the ground hazelnuts and the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with electric beaters until very stiff.
- Gently fold the nut and sugar mixture into the egg whites until you have a smooth sticky paste.
- Use a teaspoon to place spoonfuls of mixture in circles on the baking tray approximately 2.5 cm apart.
- If you want to decorate and add extra flavor, place a whole hazelnut on top of each biscuit.
- Bake for 18- 20 minutes until light brown.
- Store in an air tight container in a cool room.