- Preheat oven 180°C (160°C fan-assisted). Grease and line three 20cm round sandwich tins.
- Melt the 300g dark chocolate, then leave to cool slightly and add the oil.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and add to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.
- Add the coconut sugar, coconut flour, vanilla bean paste (or seeds), baking powder, cacao powder and sea salt and stir thoroughly again.
- Using a metal spoon, gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Try to retain as much air as you can and keep the mixture light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the 3 tins and bake for 20-25 minutes Check if they’re done by using a cake tester or clean knife in the centre of each cake.
- When baked, run a knife around the outside of each tin to loosen the cake from the sides and then cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the tins and finish cooling on a wire rack
- For the filling: Melt the dark chocolate, and leave to cool before mixing with the mascarpone and honey, maple or agave syrup.
- For the ganache: Melt the remaining 150g plain chocolate then cool slightly before stirring in the cream until thoroughly combined then set aside.
- To assemble the cake: place one cake on a serving platter and top with half of the mascarpone filling. and use a palette knife to spread it out evenly over the surface of the cake.
- Place the second cake on top and cover with the remaining filling before topping it with the final cake.
- Using a clean palette knife, spread ganache over the sides and top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the top with the candied pecans or white chocolate shaving
Grain-free fudgy chocolate cake
No matzah meal needed for this indulgent Passover bake
- PRE 1 hour
- COOK 20 - 25 minutes
- SERVES 12 - 14
300g dark chocolate
160g rapeseed oil
6 large eggs, separated
150g coconut sugar or other sugar/sweetener of your preference
45g coconut flour
2 tbsp cacao powder
2 tsp vanilla bean paste or seeds scraped from 2 vanilla pods
2 tsp baking powder
2 pinches sea salt
For the filling:
250g mascarpone, room temperature
50g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
2 tbsp honey, maple syrup, agave or icing sugar
For the chocolate ganache:
200ml double cream, at room temperature
150g plain chocolate, broken into small pieces
For the garnish:
80g chopped candied pecans or chocolate shavings