Thousands of Israelis may have been in Las Vegas at the time of Sunday night’s mass shooting that killed at least 58 people and injured more than 500 others.
Officials from the country’s foreign ministry said eight Israelis remain unaccounted for following the attack, but that there could be as many as 7000 of its citizens in the city, the Times of Israel reported.
Britain’s Foreign Office said it had been in contact with the authorities in Las Vegas to establish whether any British nationals had been affected.
The gunman, 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock, opened fire from his 32nd floor hotel room on the revellers at an outdoor country music festival.
A police team that burst into his room found him dead. He was found with at least 10 guns and was believed to have taken his own life.
President Donald Trump described the attack as “an act of pure evil”
“In moments of tragedy and horror, America comes together as one. And it always has,” he added in a televised address.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the massacre, but US authorities said there was no immediate indication that it was connected to international terrorism.