- Mix the margarine with boiled water.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and orange zest. Add the sugar and eggs.
- Beat the boiled water mixture into the flour. Beat vigorously until the dough is smooth. Leave the dough to rest for approximately 10 minutes.
- Spoon the dough into a piping bag with a small star-shaped nozzle. Heat the oil in a deep-sided frying pan.
- When the oil is hot, pipe strips of the dough into the oil to form churros. Use scissors to cut the end of the dough strips. Fry until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking. Remove with a slotted spoon and pat away excess oil with kitchen towels.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the churros. Serve immediately with chocolate sauce.
Recipe adapted from The Modern Jewish Table by Tracey Fine and Georgie Tarn, Sky Horse Publishing.
We have five copies of this book to win for Chanukah. To find out how to enter visit: www.thejc.com/ModernJewishTable