Oldstein sends Jewdinese through

A goal of the highest quality from Scott Oldstein helped Jewdinese beat Oakwood Old Boys in the Peter Morrison Trophy and set up a clash against Premier Division title hopefuls Oakwood A.




This was a game in which 'Nese were not sure what to expect as they knew nothing about Oakwood Old Boys. The first 15 minutes were relatively cagey as the home side tried to work out their opponents and work out a way past them. Despite their advancing years Oakwood settled well and moved the ball well through midfield

For the remaining 30 minutes 'Nese controlled the game as Oakwood started to tire early on. Sam Stern tested the keeper with a low, fizzing shot which was destined for the bottom corner.

Oakwood were comfortable in the first half but couldn't quite find the pass or composure to create much in front of goal. The entire back four Dave Eden, Ilan Scorah, Ben Polak and Eddie Manson were magnificent.  However, they suffered a blow when Matt Geey, Oakwood's only substitute, pulled his hamstring a minute after coming on in the first half - leaving them to soldier on with 11 men.

Jewdinese went into the second half with real intent and they broke the deadlock on the hour mark when a free-kick was hit long towards the back post, Arron Goldberg did well to put the ball back across and Sam Stern poked out a toe to guide the ball into the net.

Oakwood were fielded a physically imposing team and were constantly threatening from corners and long-throws. They equalised fairly quickly, with Jonny Quinn arriving at the back post to convert an Eddie Manson flick on.

 After that it looked like only one winner as Oakwood found a second wind with Dan Geey and Dan Abrams rolling back the years and driving the visitors forward. On the left Antony Kintish and Eddie Manson were combining well, causing constant problems for Jewdinese.

However, 'Nese regained the lead when a free-kick was cleared as far as Ben Berrick, who sent the ball back into the box as the Old Boys defence was getting out. Oldstein delightfully brought the ball down, swivelled away from a defender and slotted the ball into the corner.

Oakwood threw numbers forward in the closing stages and were unfortunate not to level on 85 minutes following the most unbelievable goal-mouth scramble. A corner was sent in and an Old Boys attacker won the header which Ben Halmer saved. Then the ball bounced around the six-yard box with multiple shots being blocked and saved. Then, the ball was chipped towards the back post, over Halmer, however James Van Straten unbelievably got his head to the ball to clear a certain goal.

Oakwood's Dave Eden rampaged into the box shortly after and flashed a ball across that Quinn couldn't quite convert. Then Dan Abrams flashed one over from inside the box, while Jewdinese had chances of their own on the break as the game was stretched. Marc Glucksman made two fantastic one-on-one saves to keep Oakwood in the game

'Nese boss Darren Lawrence told JC Sport: "Overall, I was happy with how we played and we did well to dig out the win against a decent side who were very physical and caused us a couple of problems.

"However, all the players know that for our next two league games against Galaxy and Fairlop, we will have to perform much, much better.

"We are also relishing the chance for a giant-killing in the next round against Oakwood A.”

Oakwood manager Ric Blank described his team's performance as "absolutely tremendous". He told JC Sport: "We were extremely unlucky to get knocked out. It was hard-fought game with both teams giving it everything on a bobbly grass pitch.

"Ultimately the lack of bench options cost us as we couldn't make the subs we needed to in the second half."

Commenting on the winner goal, Blank added: "It looked for all the world offside. The referee didn't see it that way unfortunately, but such is life. 

"We witnessed the greatest goalmouth scramble i've ever seen. Two point-blank saves from their keeper, two goal-line clearances and a couple of inadvertent blocks from our own players stopped the ball going in. Credit to Jewdinese keeper and defenders who put their bodies on the line in those last ten minutes repeatedly.

"In the end we ran out of time but did ourselves proud. The vast majority of our boys hadn't played 11-a-side for years, with most of us nearly 40 it was a fantastic effort, and most importantly huge fun.

"It was a credit to our old friend Rob Davidson who would have enjoyed it more than anyone. Well done to Jewdinese who are a young side with great commitment - fantastic to see."

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive