The original recipe for these mandelbreads came from my grandmother Hetty Levy, who handed the recipe down to my mother, Sybil Lewis, who eventually passed it on to me. Enjoy!
Makes: 20 biscuits
● 225g butter
● 400g self-raising flour, sifted
● 225g caster sugar
● 2 large eggs, beaten
● Preheat oven to 180°C.
● Cut the butter into cubes and rub with flour to make crumbs.
● Add the caster sugar followed by the eggs.
● Form a dough then knead until smooth.
● Form dough into a ball then put in the fridge.
● Take dough and roll out into an oval.
● Place on a greased tin and bake in oven for about 20 minutes.
● Take out and slice into approximately 4cm pieces with a bread knife.
● Then put in oven to crisp and brown.
● Remove from oven when crisp and brown on every side and cool on a rack.
● Sprinkle the mandelbreads with a light amount of caster sugar et voila!