Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 1½-2 hours
For the filling
● 6 egg whites
● 150g caster sugar
● 150g icing sugar
● 200g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
● Beetroot powder or red food colouring (optional)
For the filling:
● 300ml double cream or unsweetened pareve cream
● 300g fresh raspberries
For the chocolate mousse:
● 6 large eggs, separated
● 200g dark chocolate
● Preheat your oven to 100°C (90°c fan) and line three baking sheets with baking paper.
l Whisk the egg whites until very firm, gradually add the sugars and beat again until firm and shiny and divide the mixture into three bowls.
● Fold the pistachios into one bowl until well combined. To the second bowl add a tablespoon of beetroot powder and leave the third meringue mixture white.
● Spread a circle of mixture (of about 22cm) on each tray. Bake for 1½ to 2 hours then leave to cool.
● When cool, crush the pistachio meringue into pieces. Leave the other two meringues whole.
● To make the fillings: first whisk the double cream into a Chantilly cream - holding its shape but not too firm.
● Mix 150g of raspberries into the cream and spoon into a large piping bag. Refrigerate until needed. Keep 150g of raspberries for decoration.
● To make the chocolate mousse filling: beat egg whites until firm.
● Melt the chocolate and add the yolks and mix very well, then gently fold the chocolate mix into the whites. Set aside - in a piping bag if possible.
● To assemble the cake: place the plain meringue on a serving plate.
● Spoon or pipe the chocolate mousse over it and sprinkle over half of the crushed pistachio meringue.
● Top with the pink meringue disc and pipe or spoon over the raspberry cream. Top with the remaining raspberries and crushed pistachio meringue.
● Refrigerate until needed.