This recipe can be easily doubled to serve more people. Serve any leftover latkes the next day either hot or cold.
- Place the grated potato, parsnip and red onion onto a clean, dry tea towel, then gather up and squeeze over a sink to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Add the drained potato, parsnip and onion to a bowl, and stir in the flour and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together until the grated ingredients are coated in the flour.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Meanwhile, shape the mix into small, flat patties. Test that the oil is hot enough by adding in a couple of strands of grated potato – they should gently sizzle.
- Carefully add the latkes to the pan and cook for 4–5 minutes on each side until golden. Do this in two batches if you need to, to avoid the latkes sticking together in the pan.
- Spoon the vegan cream cheese into a bowl and stir in the chives, reserving a few to scatter over at the end.
- Carefully remove the latkes from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place onto serving plates and top with generous spoonfuls of the cream cheese mix. Scatter with the remaining chives and season with extra salt and pepper, if you like.
Tip: Freshly grate the potato, parsnip and red onion by hand using a box grater, or use a food processor for effortless preparation.
Recipe adapted from: Easy Vegan Christmas (Quadrille)