If you can’t find labneh, it’s simple to make your own by mixing 1kg of Greek yoghurt with a tablespoon of salt. Place it in a clean muslin, tie it up and and hang it over a bowl for 12 – 24 hours. Discard the liquid. It will then be ready to use. VP.
- Take the two mackerel fillets, sprinkle with salt all over the flesh side, and leave to cure for 30 minutes. Wash them with water and pat dry.
- Slice the mackerel diagonally into 3 equal sized pieces.
- Soak the bulgur wheat in warm water for 30 minutes.
- For the salad, finely slice the onion into half-moon shapes and season with sumac, slice the radishes on a mandolin or as finely as you can, and pick a few leaves off a bunch of parsley.
- Mix the salad ingredients including the bulgur wheat and season with salt, olive oil and lots of lemon juice.
- Spoon labneh (homemade or shop bought - either will do) onto your plate and place the sliced mackerel on top.
- Serve the salad next to the mackerel.