Traditionally a Peruvian dish, this one is Colombian and very much a family version. Although it isn't cooked (on hob or oven) the lime marinade will give the fish a cooked texture. Ideal served as a side dish or as a starter.
Although I have suggested cod, traditionally the fish used for ceviche is sea bass. Either must be very fresh and properly skinned.
Serves: 4–6 (as a starter)
● 500g very fresh cod fillet, skinned and cut into 2cm cubes
● Juice of 4 limes
● ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
● 1 green chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
● 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
● A handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
● Salt and pepper to taste
● Green salad, avocado halves or crackers
● Mix all the ingredients, except the fish, in a bowl and then add the cubed fish fillet.
● Add salt and pepper to taste.
● Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. This can be prepared the night before, but the dish must be eaten within 24 hours of buying the fish.
● Serve chilled on a bed of green salad, on half an avocado as a delicious starter, or with thin crackers as a canape.