- Mix the eggs with the orange juice.
- In separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and cinnamon together.
- Combine the two mixtures and add the grated apples.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and with a tablespoon, form your latkes and fry them for about 2 minutes each, turning them over to give them a nice golden colour on both sides. Put them on a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve with a dip of natural yogurt or crème fraiche and some honey. If you love cinnamon you can dust some on the fried latkes together with some icing sugar.
Apple and cinnamon latkes
Latkes don't have to be savoury. These sweet, apple versions are perfect for a Chanukah pud.
2 large eggs
350ml of orange juice
300g of self raising flour
150g of caster sugar
1 tsp of vanilla sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon
4 medium size apples (McIntosh or Empire type) peeled and grated
Optional 50g of raisins
Sunflower or vegetable oil for frying