Become a Member
Israel

US realised settlement freeze was wrong tactic

January 6, 2011 13:36
The US is now “deeply frustrated” with go-between Barak (right), seen here meeting US envoy Mitchell last year

ByAnshel Pfeffer, Anshel Pfeffer

2 min read

The Israeli government was prepared to extend the settlement freeze by three months but the American administration decided at the last moment to change course, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said this week.

In an appearance before the Knesset Foreign and Defence Affairs Committee on Monday, Mr Netanyahu said that despite reports of his government's opposition to the American demands, he had been prepared to agree to a second settlement freeze in order to enable a resumption of peace discussions with the Palestinian Authority.

"In the end, the Americans were those who decided not to go down that road," he said, "in my opinion, quite rightly. They wanted instead to return to a framework of talks where we try to minimise the differences between the two sides."

Mr Netanyahu denied reports that the Obama administration had decided to back down from its demand that Israel agree to halt settlement activity again due to Israel's reluctance to do so.