Israel and Hamas have reached an “understanding” to end over three weeks of skirmishes in a deal negotiated by Qatar.
Rockets and balloon firebombs launched from Gaza on an almost daily basis since August 6 - which caused more than 400 fires and damaged farmland in the south of the country - had forced Israel to retaliate.
But following talks, the office of Gaza leader Yahya Sinwar said: “An understanding was reached to rein in the latest escalation and end [Israeli] aggression against our people.”
A Hamas source said there had been “a total halt” to balloon and other attacks against Israel after the agreement involving other factions in the coastal strip.
“Fuel supplies will return and the power station will be restarted from Tuesday.”
According to Hamas, the new understandings include “a number of projects that serve our people in the Gaza Strip and would help them cope with the outbreak of the coronavirus.”
On Monday night, Israel’s Office of the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) announced it had agreed to resume the shipment of fuel into Gaza.
Israel had halted the flow of fuel into the Gaza Strip on August 13 in retaliation for Palestinians launching incendiary balloons and rockets.
It had also halted the transfer of goods into Gaza through the Kerem Shalom crossing, which is controlled by the IDF, on August 11.
“Following efforts to calm the situation, and in light of security consultations led by Defence Minister Benny Gantz, a decision was taken to resume the routine activity of the Kerem Shalom crossing, including the entry of fuel products, starting tomorrow [Tuesday],” COGAT said.
Gaza’s fishing zone, which had been closed, would now be set once again at 15 nautical miles, it said.
To get more Israel news, click here to sign up for our free Israel Briefing newsletter.
