- Heat your oven to 180 °C (fan).
- Peel the apples and cut them in half lengthways, then remove the core and squeeze the lemon onto the flesh to stop them browning.
- In a large pan, melt the butter, honey and sugar gently together with the vanilla and continue to cook until it turns brown and caramelises. Be careful it can burn quickly.
- Line the base of a 24cm ovenproof tart dish with a circle of baking paper.
- Pour over the caramel and arrange the apples snugly on the caramel with the cut face upwards.
- Roll out a disc of pastry large enough to cover the pan and lay it over the apples.
- Gently prick with a fork, then put in the oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is nicely browned.
- To serve, put a large plate on top of the pan and invert onto a plate - being careful not to burn yourself as you do as the caramel will be hot!
- Serve warm or at room temperature on its own or with cream or ice cream.
This is a classic with a honey twist. It’s perfect to finish a special meal and to start the year on a sweet note
Mix all the pastry ingredients together in a large bowl until they comes together in a ball. Flatten it into a dish, wrap in cling film and let it rest in the fridge while you prepare the apples.