A second set of talks between American and Iranian negotiators is set to begin later today in Geneva.
The first round, which was held last week, yielded no deals, despite a last-minute venue change from Istanbul to Oman at the request of the Iranians.
The two sides will make another attempt to agree a diplomatic solution to the tensions between them and avoid US military intervention.
Key sticking points are understood to include the level of Tehran's nuclear enrichment, its ballistic missile capability, and its support for regional proxies like Hamas and Hezbollah.
Iranian officials have reportedly offered to dilute their stock of enriched uranium, but have ruled out a complete moratorium on enrichment and any restrictions on their missile programme.
The refreshed talks come after a new wave of anti-regime protests broke out in Iran, according to footage circulating online.
Clips taken in Tehran, as well as the smaller cities of Shiraz and Arak, reportedly show demonstrators chanting "death to the dictator" and "long live the Shah".
Upping the pressure on Tehran, President Trump has also ordered the world’s largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R Ford, to transfer to the region, backing up the “armada” he sent to the Gulf last month.
It will join the USS Abraham Lincoln within striking distance of Iranian territory, with Trump saying on Thursday that the results of a failure to reach a deal would be “very traumatic”.
"It should happen quickly. They should agree very quickly,” he added.
In comments earlier this week, the president also confirmed that he would be “indirectly” involved in the negotiations, but did not specify in what capacity.
US Republican Senator Lindsey Graham has similarly ramped up the rhetoric, suggesting during a visit to Israel this week that war between the US and Iran is “weeks, not months” away.
"The risk of regime change is real. There are unknowns. But let me just say this, I’m willing to take that risk.
"The Iranian ayatollah and his murderous regime are at their weakest point since 1979. Their economy is in shambles. Their military has been degraded. There are people in the streets,” he said during a press conference.
Speaking subsequently to the Times of Israel, he added: "We promised that help would be on the way to the protesters. We have to deliver on that promise.
"If having said all the things we’ve said and done all the things we’ve done, if the ayatollah is still standing after all this bluster, then it would be a strategic victory for Iran.”
To get more news, click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
