Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation

Man, 98, suffers life-threatening injuries in attack at home

Police are urging anyone who may have seen something suspicious in the vicinity to get in touch

    A picture of Mr Gouldstone in hospital, released by police
    A picture of Mr Gouldstone in hospital, released by police (Photo: Met Police)

    A 98-year old man has been left with life-threatening injuries after being attacked and robbed in his own home.

    Peter Gouldstone was found on Tuesday morning at his home in Enfield, North London, with injuries to his head and bruising to multiple places on his body.

    The Second World War veteran and former postal worker was taken to an East London Hospital, where he remains.

    Police officers called to the scene found the house had been burgled.

    Mr Gouldstone’s son Simon said: "My Dad is housebound and requires regular assistance.

    He has lived at his address for over 60 years. I was the first person that found him on Tuesday. He was in his bedroom on the floor. I noticed that he was agitated and was semi-conscious. He could not communicate.

    "He had bruising on his arms and face. I would urge any members of the public that know any information about those responsible or who maybe able to help the investigation to come forward to the police as soon as possible."

    Detective Inspector Paul Ridley from North Area CID called the incident “a brutal and senseless attack on a vulnerable pensioner in his own home", adding: "The level of violence used was completely excessive.

    He said Mr Gouldstone spoke to a family member by phone at 2pm on November and "had not raised any concerns" and that police therefore believed the attack place in the 20-hour window between then and when he was found.

    "I would urge any members of the public that may have seen any persons acting suspiciously in the vicinity of Evesham Road, Enfield, N11 to come forward to my investigation team as a priority," he said.

    "I can reassure residents that patrols have been stepped up in the area and extensive efforts are being made to identify and apprehend the persons responsible."

    Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is urged to contact Enfield CID via 101 quoting CAD 2140/6Nov, or by tweeting @MetCC under Operation Name 'Burrow'

UK News

Labour NEC member repeats demand for 'evidence of widespread antisemitism'

Daniel Sugarman

Yesterday, 16:13

Labour NEC member repeats demand for 'evidence of widespread antisemitism'
UK News

Remains of six unknown Holocaust victims are handed over ahead of burial

Daniel Sugarman

Wed, 12:24

Remains of six unknown Holocaust victims are handed over ahead of burial
World

EU to fund Jewish cemetery map project

Daniel Sugarman

Mon, 14:47

EU to fund Jewish cemetery map project
UK News

Prince Charles sends 'heartfelt condolences' ahead of burial of six Shoah victims

Daniel Sugarman

Yesterday, 00:01

Prince Charles sends 'heartfelt condolences' ahead of burial of six Shoah victims
UK News

United Synagogue appeals for volunteers to help at special burial of six Holocaust victims

Daniel Sugarman

Tue, 15:26

United Synagogue appeals for volunteers to help at special burial of six Holocaust victims
UK News

New report: 170,000 antisemitic Google searches made in Britain each year

Daniel Sugarman

Friday, January 11, 2019

New report: 170,000 antisemitic Google searches made in Britain each year
World

Jewish businessman Jason Spindler killed in Kenya terror attack

Daniel Sugarman

Wed, 17:59

Jewish businessman Jason Spindler killed in Kenya terror attack
UK News

Andrew Dismore to step down after decades representing North West London

Daniel Sugarman

Mon, 17:21

Andrew Dismore to step down after decades representing North West London
Community News

Treasured memories handed to Yad Vashem

Daniel Sugarman

Friday, January 11, 2019

Treasured memories handed to Yad Vashem