Become a Member
News

Lord Lester: I won't get into a fight with my accuser

Peer under fire over sexual harassment allegations speaks exclusively to the JC

November 17, 2018 10:44
Lord Lester
3 min read

The peer at the centre of a controversial sexual harassment storm has told the JC that he was “completely devastated” by the claims made against him by Jasvinder Sanghera.

Lord Lester of Herne Hill, QC, often described as the father of Britain’s Human Rights Act, was speaking at the end of a turbulent week in which a House of Lords inquiry recommended that he be suspended from Parliament for a three-and-a-half years. On Thursday, however, a debate in the Lords overturned the suspension by 101 votes to 78. 

An angry Ms Sanghera said she felt “victimised all over again” in the wake of the change of heart by the peers.

Ms Sanghera, who waived her anonymity earlier in the week, complained to the House of Lords privileges and conduct committee in November 2017 that 12 years ago, Lord Lester, then aged 70, had sexually harassed her, offering her the inducement of a peerage if she would sleep with him.