Become a Member
Israel

IDF will ‘complete mission’ in Gaza unless Hamas disarms in 60 days, claims top Netanyahu aide

Yossi Fuchs, the cabinet secretary, said the US and Israel would give the terror group until the summer to lay down all of its weapons

February 17, 2026 10:43
GettyImages-2196436674.jpg
Hamas fighters secure an area before handing over two Israeli hostages to a Red Cross team in Khan Yunis on February 1, 2025 (Getty Images)
1 min read

A top aide to Prime Minister Netanyahu has suggested that the war in Gaza could restart if Hamas fails to give up its weapons.

Speaking at the Besheva Group conference in Jerusalem, Yossi Fuchs, the cabinet secretary, said that the terror group would be given 60 days to disarm voluntarily.

This, he said, had been requested by Washington and "we are respecting that".

However, he pointed to statements by senior Hamas leaders in recent months, insisting that the organisation will not lay down arms willingly.

To get more Israel news, click here to sign up for our free Israel Briefing newsletter.