Hamas used toxic gas to kill IDF staff in October 7 attacks

According to an IDF briefing, several female IDF soldiers were killed at the Nahal Oz command centre by gas


TOPSHOT - A member of the Israeli forces runs past a fire raging in a house in Ashkelon following a rocket attack from the Gaza Strip on southern Israel on October 7, 2023. Palestinian militant group Hamas has launched a "war" against Israel, Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said, after barrages of rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory on October 7. (Photo by AHMAD GHARABLI / AFP) (Photo by AHMAD GHARABLI/AFP via Getty Images)

(JNS) Fifteen female observers and three operations room sergeants were fatally poisoned on October 7.

Text: Hamas used a flammable, suffocating gas that causes a loss of consciousness within minutes of exposure to flush out and kill female IDF observers ("tazpaniot") from the Israeli army's Nahal Oz command center on October 7.

Families of IDF observers received a harrowing minute-by-minute briefing from a reserve officer after an army investigation into the final moments of their loved ones, Israel’s Channel 12 reported on Tuesday.

The main revelation was that terrorists threw a deadly flammable substance into the communications room, one that caused suffocation within minutes. 

Fifteen female observers and three operations room sergeants were killed that morning. Only six officers and one female observer managed to survive.

"One of the officers tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but the fire quickly spread," said the briefing officer, noting that "the terrorists also used the poisonous gas in civilian communities."

When the smoke began to enter under the door, the soldiers soaked paper with water to try and block it. But the attempt failed and the room began to fill with smoke.

"There were 22 people in the room and it's a small room. One of the soldiers tried to open the door, but the soldiers realized that the terrorists were in the corridor," the officer said.

The soldiers scrambled to leave the room. They were unable to open an emergency exit. One managed to climb out of a bathroom window and helped five others to follow.

"One of the officers climbed back into the bathroom. He shouted but there was no sound and no answer. He went [back] down and the seven survivors clung to the concrete floor," the briefing officer said.

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive