A Hamas and Islamic Jihad delegation visited Cairo on Friday to give their "observations" about an Egyptian plan for a ceasefire that would end the war in Gaza.
The plan was put last week to officials from both terror groups, who are fighting Israeli forces in the Strip.
It is understood Cairo's three-stage plan provides for renewable ceasefires, a staggered release of hostages held by Hamas in exchange for Palestinian prisoners in Israel and ultimately a ceasefire to end the war sparked by the deadly October 7 terror attack on Israel.
It also provides for a Palestinian government of technocrats after talks involving "all Palestinian factions", which would be responsible for governing and rebuilding in post-war Gaza.
One Hamas official told AFP that their observations focus on "the modalities of the planned exchanges and the number of Palestinian prisoners to be freed, as well as obtaining guarantees for a complete Israeli military withdrawal from Gaza".
Diaa Rashwan, who heads Egypt's State Information Services, said that Cairo had put forward "a framework intended to bring together the views of all parties concerned, with the aim of ending the shedding of Palestinian blood, stopping the aggression against the Gaza Strip, and restoring regional peace and security".
"This proposal comprises three successive and interconnected stages leading to a ceasefire," Rashwan's statement said.
She also said Egypt had not yet received a response to its initiative which would be made public "in detail" when Cairo had received feedback from all concerned.
Two Egyptian security sources told Reuters that Hamas and Islamic Jihad had rejected the Egyptian proposal on Friday although this was denied by officials from both groups.