Serve this with couscous, rice or pita bread. It's also delicious with roasted potatoes, carrots and beetroot. The honey and pomegranates, give it a sweetness that make it great for Rosh Hashanah.
l Put the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, oregano and lemon (with skin and pith) in a blender with 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons black pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Put the lamb in a large roasting tin and tip the marinade over the top. Massage all over the lamb and leave for 24 hours in the fridge, or up to 2 days.
- Remove lamb from the fridge 1 hour before cooking.
- Heat oven to 160°C/140°C fan.
- Scatter the onions around the lamb, tucking some underneath, then pour over the pomegranate juice. Cover the lamb with foil and cook for 4 hrs.
- Remove the foil, carefully pour the meaty pomegranate juices from the tin into a large saucepan and add the honey.
- Increase oven to 220°C/200°C fan, re-cover the lamb and continue cooking for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, bubble the cooking liquid over a high heat until reduced, thick and syrupy – this may take up to 30 mins.
- Pour the sticky pomegranate glaze over the lamb and onions and return to the oven for another 30 mins, uncovered, until the glaze is bubbling and just starting to char, and the lamb is really tender.
- Shred the lamb at the table and serve with the sticky onions. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and sprinkle over the mint leaves.
Leave time for marinating the lamb before cooking