This quantity made eight large portions and cost less than £5 for the ingredients. A great option when you have vegans or vegetarians in the house. It freezes well and will happily sit on a hot plate as a change from cholent.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic chopped
1 - 2 sprigs thyme
The following vegetables peeled and chopped into 2-3cm dice:
3 medium potatoes
1 large parsnip
2 medium sweet potatoes
½ butternut squash
2 tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1-2 tbsp honey
Juice of ½ - 1 lemon
1 tsp allspice
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 dessertspoon each of: cumin; coriander, chilli and turmeric
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
- Place all the spices in a lidded jar and give it a good shake to mix. This will make more than you will need but it will keep, and makes a great addition to your spice rack.
- Fry the onion in the oil over a medium heat in a heavy based large saucepan.
- Next add the garlic and thyme and fry for about 30 seconds before stirring in about 3-4 tablespoons of the spice mix. Add the stock and stir well to scrape up anything that might be sticking to the bottom.
- Add the vegetables, chickpeas and chopped tomatoes to the pan and stir to combine. Make sure there is enough liquid to come to the top of the vegetables, if not just add some water.
- Bring the pan to the boil and then turn down to a simmer. Allow it to cook for about an hour until the vegetables are soft and the sauce has thickened, carefully stir in the honey and lemon juice to taste.