Man who ‘murdered pensioner as revenge for Gaza’ tried to fight police, court hears

A Moroccan asylum seeker accused of killing a passer-by


Ahmed Ali Alid after his arrest. (Image: Counter Terrorism Policing North East)

A Moroccan asylum seeker accused of stabbing a pensioner to get “revenge” for the Palestinian victims of Israel battled female detectives and shouted “Allahu Akbar" after he had been detained, a court heard on Tuesday.

Ahmed Alid, 45 (pictured right), was shouting and chanting in Arabic during the disturbance at Middlesbrough Police Station on October 16, Teesside Crown Court was told.

A panic button in the police station failed to work when Alid fought two female detectives who had been interviewing him, the court heard.

He had become “agitated” about his interpreter while he was being questioned about the murder of 70-year-old Terence Carney, and the attempted murder of housemate Javed Nouri, a detective said in her witness statement.

Prosecutors said Alid stabbed Nouri, 31, as he slept in his room in the asylum seekers’ accommodation in Hartlepool where they lived.

The larger man fought off his attacker who then fled into the town centre where he stabbed Carney, a stranger who was out walking.

Alid was arrested and was questioned the next day by detective constables Angela Harvey and Emma Stevenson.

DC Harvey got in between the defendant and his interpreter when she realised Alid was becoming angry, jurors heard.

In a statement, she said she became aware that DC Stevenson had pressed a panic button, but it had not worked.

The defendant’s solicitor rang 999 from the interview room to summon help. Alid blocked the door, so police colleagues who were watching the interview elsewhere could not force their way in, the court heard.

Alid then grabbed DC Harvey in a bear hug, which led DC Stevenson to try to help her and the three of them ended up on the floor, with the two officers reporting being assaulted.

CCTV from inside the police station showed a number of officers pile into the interview room, and then showed Alid being carried away.

DC Stevenson said in her witness statement that she was left “shaken” by the experience.

She said it was fortunate colleagues were watching the interview remotely, adding: “If this was not the case, who knows what would have happened?”

A senior officer later tested the panic button and confirmed it was not working, the court heard.

The jury has heard how Nouri and Alid had previously fallen out about religion, and how Mr Nouri had converted to Christianity.

The prosecution claims Alid said he was motivated to get “revenge” for the Palestinian victims of Israel.

Alid denies murder, attempted murder and two counts of assaulting the detectives. The trial was adjourned until Wednesday.

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive