The shadow culture secretary has called on the government to investigate Misan Harriman, chairman of the Southbank Centre, following allegations that he compared Reform UK’s electoral success to the events that led to the Holocaust.
Writing to culture secretary Lisa Nandy on Monday, Nigel Huddleston insisted it was “incumbent’’ on her to personally investigate Harriman and request that the Arts Council review its funding of the arts venue.
Harriman, 48, faced a backlash earlier this month after being accused of comparing Reform UK’s electoral success to events preceding the Holocaust – allegations which he denies.
Harriman said that only a fraction of a longer video had been clipped “to misrepresent me”, and that people are “NOT watching the full video”.
In the full footage, Harriman goes on to say: “Many people, by the way, that voted for Reform, they’re not devils. They’ve just been reading certain newspapers, reading certain news clips, listening to certain charlatans, and it has done the work as it was intended.”
In Huddleston’s letter to Nandy, which was seen by The Times, he said that Harriman’s conduct was “totally inappropriate” for the chairman of a charity’s board and brought the Southbank Centre into disrepute.
He said: “It is incumbent on you to investigate Harriman’s continuing role at the Southbank Centre in light of his social media activity. With that in mind, will you personally look into this matter and his suitability for the role?
“Furthermore … I am sure you will encourage the Arts Council to also review this issue. As the minister legally responsible for Arts Council England, will you now ask the Arts Council to review its funding arrangement with the Southbank Centre?” he said.
Harriman making the controversial remarks (Image: X)[Missing Credit]
More than 21,000 individuals, including celebrities Gary Lineker, Susan Sarandon, Mark Ruffalo, and Hugh Bonneville, recently signed a letter in support of Harriman.
Separately, the Charity Commission said it was reviewing concerns that Harriman may have breached political neutrality rules for charity leaders after he posted a photo on election day with the Green Party’s Zack Polanski and Hannah Spencer, and others, alongside the caption: “The vote is the most powerful nonviolent tool we have.”
An Arts Council England spokesperson told The Times: “We look carefully at all concerns that are raised with us. We are not a regulatory body, and we can’t make, interpret or enforce the law, but we can ensure that the organisations we fund have the relevant policies and processes in place, and that they follow them.”
A spokesperson for the centre said the organisation condemns antisemitism and discrimination, while stressing that board members’ personal views do not reflect the institution’s official position or programming.
Harriman is entering the final 12 months of his six-year tenure as chair.
Deputy Chair of the Southbank Centre, Libby Savill, said: “Over all this time we have observed him to be determined in his opposition to racism in all its forms, including antisemitism.
“All of us, including our chair, hold to the vision established 75 years ago at the Festival of Britain: that the Southbank Centre should be the most welcoming and inclusive of all UK arts spaces, reflecting the creativity of all the diverse cultural communities of the UK and the wider world, including the Jewish community.”
The Southbank Centre received £18 million in public funds last year.
To get more news, click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
