Terrorist kills 7, multiple injuries in Jerusalem Synagogue

The terror attack comes on International Holocaust Memorial Day


Seven people have been shot and killed in a terror attack Friday night in Neve Yaakov, Jerusalem, on International Holocaust Memorial Day.

Israeli police say the terrorist was neutralised at the scene. According to Magen David Adom medics there were multiple victims including a 70 year old in critical condition, a 20 year old in serious condition, and a 14 year old in moderate to serious condition.

MDA paramedic Fadi Dekidek said, "This is a very serious terror attack. We saw a woman and four men lying on the road. They suffered gunshot wounds and showed no signs of life, and we had to declare their deaths. 3 other injured including a 70 year old woman in critical condition were conveyed to Hadassah Mount Scopus Hospital."

Additionally, it was reported that two injured patients were transported to Shaare Tzedek Hospital including a 30 year old male in critical condition undergoing resuscitation, and a 60 year old female in moderate condition.

Israeli Police are searching for possible accomplices.  A police spokesperson said: "Earlier this evening at around 8:30pm, a terrorist arrived at a synagogue in the Neve Ya'akov boulevard in Jerusalem and proceeded to shoot at a number of people in the area. Police forces quickly arrived at the scene, engaged with the terrorist and opened fire at him. The terrorist was neutralized. 5 innocent people were slaughtered and a more were injured as result of the terror attack."

Since the spokesperson's statement, two more have succumbed to their injuries.

Israeli News Channel Kan say the terrorist opened fire from a moving vehicle as worshippers were leaving the synagogue. The channel also reports that fireworks and gunshots in celebration of the attack were witnessed in the West Bank city of Jenin.

The terrorist attack comes amid rising tensions in the region after the IDF killed 9 Palestinians in a raid in Jenin on Thursday prompting the Palestinian Authority to suspend its security coordination with Israel. Israeli officials say they had prevented a major terror attack.

Last night Hamas responded with rocket fire from Gaza into Southern Israel which was intercepted by the Iron dome.  The IDF carried out retaliatory strikes against targets in Gaza.

Natalie Lisbona, Jerusalem

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive