Jerusalem terror attack suspect arrested after seven wounded near Western Wall

A pregnant woman and Chasidic family were among those hit by gunfire


Israeli security inspect a bus after an attack outside Jerusalem's Old City, August 14, 2022. - Israeli police said they had arrested a suspect in a pre-dawn gun attack on a bus in central Jerusalem that wounded eight people according to an updated casualty toll. (Photo by AHMAD GHARABLI / AFP) (Photo by AHMAD GHARABLI/AFP via Getty Images)

A suspected terrorist has been arrested after a gunman opened fire at a bus in Jerusalem’s Old City, wounding seven people, including a pregnant woman.

Police said the man has now turned himself in along with the gun used in the shooting following an hours-long manhunt.

In the early hours of morning on Sunday shots were fired at a bus near the Western Wall. 

A pregnant woman, hit by gunfire while sitting in a nearby car, was said to be in a “complex” condition and in danger of dying, Israeli media reported.

The father of a Chasdic family of tourists visiting Israel from America was said to be sedated and on a respirator after being shot while waiting for a taxi near the scene of the attack. The family’s mother, also hit, is reportedly in a less serious condition.

Israeli security forces initially pursued the suspect into the nearby Silwan neighbourhood.

United Hatzalah emergency service worker Moshe Levy told the Times of Israel: “It was a very difficult scene, the blood-soaked tzitzit and abandoned baby stroller will remain in my memory for many years.”

Eyewitness Avraham Deutsch told Ynet: “I waited half an hour before the bus came. I heard three shots, I jumped inside the bus and lay low with everyone.

“I immediately understood it was a terror attack, and then there were screams of terror. Everyone called police. I saw two older people on the ground and two young people who were hurt in the shoulder.”

The bus’ driver, Daniel Kanievsky, told the Times of Israel: “The bus was full, jam-packed. I stopped at a bus stop at King David’s Tomb and then I heard gunfire, people started yelling, people were hurt inside the bus.”

The attack comes a week after an exchange of fire between Israel and Iran-backed terror group Palestinian Islamic Jihad left dozens of Palestinians dead.

Over 1,000 rockets were fired at Israeli cities, while IDF strikes hit several sites in the Gaza strip. 

Dozens of Palestinians were killed, including multiple children. Israeli officials claim many of these deaths were the result of PIJ rockets misfiring.

Hamas, who did not participate in the fighting, praised the bus attack as “heroic” and said it was “a natural response to the occupation’s daily crimes against our people, our country and major Muslim and Christian sites.”

In a statement, Prime Minister Yair Lapid said: “The security forces… are working to get the despicable terrorist and will not stop until he is caught. Let all those who wish us evil know that they will pay a price for any harming of civilians.

“Jerusalem is our capital and a center of tourism for all religions. Police forces and the IDF are working to restore calm and the feeling of security to the city.”

19 people have been killed in Israel by terror attacks since March, with stabbing, ramming and shooting incidents taking place across the country. 

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive