The Israeli government has announced the temporary closure of Gaza's only pedestrian crossing after a series of rockets were fired into southern Israel.
Israeli officials said that the Erez crossing would remain shut this Sunday after it was due to reopen following the end of the Pesach holiday in Israel. Crossings in both the West Bank and Gaza are routinely shut during Jewish holidays.
Young men ride a vehicle at the Palestinian Authority (PA) side of the Erez Crossing in Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza Strip, on April 23, 2022. (Photo by Mahmud HAMS / AFP)
The Israeli Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories said in a statement: “Following the rockets that were fired toward Israeli territory from the Gaza Strip last night [Friday], it was decided that crossings into Israel for Gazan merchants and workers through the Erez Crossing will not be permitted this upcoming Sunday.”
Three rockets were fired from Gaza on Friday night, with one landing in a field outside Sderot, one falling short and landing in the northern Gaza strip and one landing in a field just across the border with Israel.
Another video shows the two rocket launches at southern Israel, one which fell short. pic.twitter.com/tRyWkvRyGt— Emanuel (Mannie) Fabian (@manniefabian) April 22, 2022
Five rockets have been fired from Gaza in the last week, ending a nearly four-month period of quiet, with one missile being intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome system on Monday and two others landing in Israel on Wednesday and Thursday.
Israeli Minister of Defence Benny Gantz said that any rocket attacks would be met with a "harsh response" as the Israeli airforce announced it was targeting Hamas military targets in the Gaza Strip.