This recipe comes from Lisa Goldberg, chief pot stirrer of the Monday Morning Cooking Club, originally published along with the "Egg and Onion" story in Monday Morning CookingClub - the food, the stories, the sisterhood (2011). It is the perfect starter for Shabbat lunch.
Serves: 12 as a starter
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
● 3 brown onions, chopped
● 185ml vegetable oil
● 12 eggs
● Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
● Put the onions and oil in a large frying pan and fry for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and very soft. Meanwhile, boil the eggs for 8 minutes until hard-boiled. l Remove the pan from the heat, drain and then cover the eggs with cold water. When just cool enough to handle, peel the eggs and grate into a large bowl using the coarse side of a grater.
● Spoon the onions onto the egg, leaving most of the oil in the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper, and combine the onions and egg with your hands or a wooden spoon, tasting as you go. If too dry, add a little oil from the pan. The mixture should stick together if pressed with your hand, but should not be overly oily.
● Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve, pressing the wrap onto the surface of the egg and onion so it doesn't dry out.
● Keep at room temperature if using the same day, otherwise refrigerate. Serve with challah or bagels.