Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation

Desecration of graves in Manchester

    Hillary and Maurice Craft view the damage at Blackley cemetery
    Hillary and Maurice Craft view the damage at Blackley cemetery

    A double attack on a Jewish cemetery in Manchester has been condemned by police as "sickening" and "the work of cruel racists".

    North Manchester's Blackley cemetery was targeted twice in two weeks, causing an estimated £100,000 worth of damage to dozens of graves, including seven belonging to one family.

    Gravestones were smashed and swastikas and antisemitic graffiti were painted and scratched on historic headstones dating back to the 1900s in an attack thought to have taken place last Sunday evening.

    Officers from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were conducting door-to-door inquiries in surrounding streets.

    Inspector Mike Reid said: "This is a sickening and cruel act of racism." The police were treating the incident as a hate crime, which "should we find those who committed this cowardly act, will allow the courts to impose harsh punishments."

    Police are also investigating an earlier incident of anti-Jewish daubings at the cemetery thought to have occurred two weeks before, but discovered only last week.

    Members of the local Jewish community with relatives buried in the cemetery reacted with horror at the damage.

    Bernard Freeman, 88, who discovered that the gravestone of his late mother, Martha, had been destroyed said he was "upset and disgusted."

    Hillary Craft, whose grandparents' and mother's graves had been damaged, said she was devastated.

    According to Harry Johnston, North Manchester Cemeteries Trust (NMCT) infrastructure manager, £100,000 had recently been spent on upgrading facilities at the cemetery. "In just one hour someone has ripped out that investment," he said.

    A spokesman for the Community Security Trust, which monitors antisemitism, said the scale of the damage at Blackley was the worst it had seen for several years. He said: "We estimate that around 45 gravestones were pushed over or damaged. That would have taken a lot of effort, quite a bit of time and would have made a lot of noise. Most desecrations involve damage to a handful of gravestones."

    NMCT has appealed on for volunteers to join a team clearing the damage on Sunday.

Uk News

Livingstone decision shameful, says Tom Watson

Lee Harpin and Marcus Dysch

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Livingstone decision shameful, says Tom Watson
Uk News

Anti-Israel conference faces delay

Lee Harpin

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Anti-Israel conference faces delay
Features

The neo-Chasid in search of God

Simon Rocker

Thursday, December 22, 2016

The neo-Chasid in search of God
Uk News

Strictly Orthodox Ukip candidate 'should not run for office'

Marcus Dysch

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Strictly Orthodox Ukip candidate 'should not run for office'
Special Reports

Dublin benefits from overseas aid

Barry Toberman

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Dublin benefits from overseas aid
Community News

Surrey shul looks to student to step up

Friday, December 9, 2016
Surrey shul looks to student to step up
Uk News

Government drops pledge to aid 3,000 child refugees

Rosa Doherty

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Government drops pledge to aid 3,000 child refugees
Uk News

Limmud: Food for thought at session on 'ethical eating'

By Simon Rocker

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Limmud: Food for thought at session on 'ethical eating'
Uk News

Commission criticised over inquiry into 'antisemitic' charity

Daniel Sugarman

Monday, December 5, 2016

Commission criticised over inquiry into 'antisemitic' charity