- Peel the onion and garlic and cut ito small cubes. Peel and dice the potato.
- Wash the tomatoes, cut each into 8 pieces. Rinse the squash and cut it into slices.
- Have the vegetable stock cube ready.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion, garlic and potatoes for 5 min. Do not let them brown.
- Add the fresh and tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, bay leaf and oregano.
- Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the squash and basil and simmer until the squash is soft. Let the soup cool slightly before blending.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and season.
- Garnish with sour cream and fresh basil or oregano and serve it with bread.
The soup is suitable for freezing. The walnuts give the soup an extra crunchy texture.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
350g of tomatoes (3–4 large tomatoes)
450g tin peeled tomatoes
450g squash (a small squash)
900ml vegetable stock
1 vegetable stock cube
1 bay leaf
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
50g chopped walnuts
salt and pepper to taste
fresh basil or fresh oregano for garnish.