This is absolutely divine, absolutely simple and absolutely geshmak.
● 125g butter or non-dairy margarine
● 250g sugar
● 3 eggs extra large
● 350g flour
● 45g cocoa powder
● 2 tsp instant coffee powder
● 250 ml milk or soya milk
● 2 tsp vanilla essence
● 3 tsp baking powder
For the chocolate sauce
● 150g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa)
● 2 cups boiling water
● Preheat oven to 180°C
● Grease a round or rectangular (20 x 30cm) oven-dish or about 10 ramekins. Cream margarine and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and continue to beat.
● Sift the flour, cocoa and coffee. Add the vanilla essence to the milk. Add the dry and wet ingredients alternately to the mixture in three stages. Beat until well combined and smooth. Fold in the baking powder.
● Prepare your chocolate by dissolving it in boiling water.
● The cake mixture should only come halfway up the sides of the dish or dishes, as the melted chocolate sauce still has to be poured over before baking.
● Once the chocolate is completely melted, pour the liquid evenly over the batter and bake for 45 minutes.
● It will still look uncooked and soft on the top, but this is because it is a self-saucing cake . You won't be able to test this cake with a skewer as it will not come out clean.
● Serve either warm or at room temperature in the ramekins or onto plates from the tin, with vanilla ice cream or cream.