I love fish - it is quick to cook, low in fat , high in protein and it makes us super brainy. So why do so many children grow up disliking it? My theory is that somewhere along the way it has been served up over-cooked, dry and tasteless. It is not difficult to make fish appeal to children by making delicious Mini Fish Pies in ramekins, coating goujons of fish in seasoned flour, egg and crushed Cornflakes or serving up Salmon Teriyaki on skewers.
This is a fabulous recipe for Salmon Fishcakes which is great for the whole family. Its so much better to mix the raw salmon into the mixture rather than cooking the fish first as it remains lovely and moist. The Parmesan, sweet chilli sauce and fresh dill give these a delicious flavour. I double coat the fishcakes so they are nice and crispy on the outside.
I have moulded mine into the shape of a fish but you can simply make them into round fish cakes …
● 5 spring onions, finely sliced
● 250g cooked mashed potato (300g potatoes)
● 250g salmon fillet, skinned and chopped into small pieces
● 25g Parmesan cheese, grated
● 2 tbsp mayonnaise
● 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
● 1 tbsp ketchup
● 1 tbsp lemon juice
● 1 heaped tbsp dill, chopped
● 40g fresh white breadcrumbs
● 2 eggs beaten
● 100g Shredded Wheat Bite Size
● 40g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
● Sliced hard boiled eggs
● Sugar snap peas
● Put the potatoes (still in their skins) in a saucepan of cold water.
● Bring to the boil , then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until you can insert a knife easily.
● Drain and leave until cool enough to handle, then peel and mash.
● To make the fish cakes, mix together the spring onions, potato, salmon, 25g Parmesan, mayonnaise , ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, lemon , dill and 30g breadcrumbs into a bowl.
● Season well and mix together.
● Divide the mixture into 6 balls, chill if possible for 3 to 4 hours or overnight to firm up.
● Put the Shredded Wheat into a processor and whizz until fine crumbs. Dip the fish cakes in the beaten egg, then coat in the crumb mixture.
● Dip in egg once again and then coat for a final time in the cheesy Shredded Wheat crumbs.
● Put each ball onto a chopping board or tray and pat into an oval fish shape, press on extra coating if any bald patches appear.
● Heat 2 tbsp of sunflower oil in a frying pan. Fry the fish cakes for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides until golden brown and the salmon is cooked through.
● Place the oval fish cakes on a plate and decorate with a slice of boiled egg and a pea for the eyes, halved sugar snap pea for the mouth, parsley for the fins and sliced radish for the air bubbles.
● Serve on a sea of peas.