Makes about 30 biscuits
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 10-12 minutes plus resting time for the dough, 1-3 hours
● 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
● 170g caster sugar
● 170g honey
● 1 egg
● 420g plain flour
● 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
● ½ tsp ground cinnamon
● Pinch of ground cloves
● 1 egg white, lightly whisked, for glazing
● Cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
● Warm the honey gently in a saucepan or in the microwave until lukewarm, then add to the butter mixture. Add the egg and mix well.
● Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and cloves. Beat into the butter mixture until a soft dough forms.
● Shape the dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Rest it in the freezer for 1 hour or the fridge for 2–3 hours.
● Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays.
● Roll out the dough on a lightly floured benchtop to about 5 mm thick, then cut out shapes with a biscuit cutter and place on the prepared trays, well spaced to allow for spreading.
● Brush with the egg white and bake for 10–12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on the baking trays.