Preparation: 30 - 45 minutes
Cooking: 45 minutes
● 3 medium aubergines
● 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
● 1 pinch salt
● 4 ½ tbsp olive oil
For the quinoa and paneer filling:
● 100g quinoa
● 1 small onion, chopped
● 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
● ¼ tsp ground turmeric
● ¼ tsp chilli powder
● 100g paneer, grated
● 1 tsp garam masala
● ¼ bunch coriander, chopped
● 1 dash vegetable oil
● 1 tsp salt
● 1 red beetroot, coarsely grated
● 2 carrots, coarsely grated
● 1 red pepper, cut into small pieces
● Rinse the quinoa and prepare according to packet instruction, in stock or water. Once cooked, drain off excess liquid and set aside.
● Combine 3 ½ tablespoons of olive oil, the cumin and salt in a bowl, then mix to make the marinade.
● Cut the top off the aubergines before cutting lengthways into 4mm thick slices. Brush the slices with marinade. Aubergines are thirsty vegetables - they soak up a lot of oil and dry out and crisp up easily, which in this case we don't want, so brush with more oil if necessary.
● Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large frying pan or griddle pan and set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add some of the slices and fry for 2-3 minutes each side until they soften and have a nice golden colour, then lay them on kitchen paper to absorb excess moisture. Continue to cook in batches until they are all ready.
● To make the filling, add a dash of vegetable oil to a non-stick pan and place over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and fry until golden.
● Stir in the ginger-garlic paste, ground turmeric, salt and chilli powder and fry for 2 minutes.
● Add the quinoa, cook for 5-7 minutes then sprinkle in the grated paneer. Stir, remove from the heat then sprinkle over the garam masala and coriander.
● To assemble, lay out the grilled aubergine slices on a board. Spread a generous layer of filling on each and sprinkle over the beetroot, carrot and red pepper. Wrap each slice around the filling to create a roll. Stack the rolls onto a large plate and serve immediately.