- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and place paper cases into muffin tins.
- Whizz the beetroot into a purée and add the eggs and oil.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and add the beetroot purée mixture.
- Fill the paper cases 2/3rd full with the mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Serve dusted with cocoa powder.
This cake is an unusual mix of ingredients which merge well to produce a moist recipe full of goodness. The mixture can also be made in a loaf tin and served as a dessert with chocolate custard or ice cream or for tea with thick cream. (It will then take about 30 minutes to cook.) If you have a guest who says they don’t like beetroot, don’t tell them the ingredients as they will never know. They might even change their mind.