Leiwy oozes star qualities in Faithfold cup win

Avi Markiewicz saluted match-winner David Leiwy who produced his Sunday best in front of the JC cameras once again, scoring a hat-trick in the 5-2 triumph over FC Team as Faithfold moved into the second round of the League Cup.




Leiwy scored two smart finishes, as well as a header in an outstanding first-half performance at Hertswood.

The Superhoops started well and stormed into a 4-1 lead by half-time following a period of ball domination.

Jordan Sharifian, who has enjoyed successful spells at Temple Fortune and Lions in recent seasons, added his name to the scoresheet with a well-taken fourth.


FC Team battled valiantly, with their goals coming via top-scorer Connor Perl and David Cohen. But they had appeals for another waved away by referee Stuart Ansher, and to make matters worse they were then reduced to 10 men after Josh Morris was dismissed for his protests.

Dead-ball expert Lorian Madanes sealed the tie with a beautiful whipped free-kick into the top corner from near the touchline.


Jubilant Faithfold player-manager Avi Markiewicz told JC Sport: "We moved the ball across the back and through the field really well, getting David Leiwy and Eshed Rahav on the ball was key and once they had it was there the damage was done.

"Yarden Sharifian up front was a real handful, so strong and powerful, scored a tidy goal and created a second with a wonderful flick on for Leiwy.

"We were far too complacent in the second half, and invited pressure and started trying to be too clever. FC Team got another goal in and we weren’t holding on to the ball well enough for a team two divisions above their opponents.

"FC Team did really well to match us second half but the red card, with about 15 minutes remaining, quashed any realistic hopes of a comeback. But in reality all the damage was done in the first half.

FC Team player-manager Mitch Young lamented his side's "abysmal defending in the first half". He told JC Sport: "We gifted Faithfold a strong lead, although we were just about in the game thanks to Connor's great goal.

"I changed the tactics at half-time and put an extra man in midfield and that saw as dominate the second half. We got a goal back and then with 20 minutes left we scored again, only for the referee somehow not to see it went over the line. The referee then gave our player a straight red-card for dissent. We believed this should've been a sin-bin offence. If the goal stood and Josh remained on the pitch I am confident we had the momentum to level the scores.

"I am proud of our second-half performance, we all feel aggrieved but we will move on. Faithfold have some talented players and good luck to them for the remainder of the competition."

Share via

Want more from the JC?

To continue reading, we just need a few details...

Want more from
the JC?

To continue reading, we just
need a few details...

Get the best news and views from across the Jewish world Get subscriber-only offers from our partners Subscribe to get access to our e-paper and archive