Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
● 3 large navel oranges
● 300g granulated sugar, plus 50g for coating the cooked zest
● Juice of the three oranges plus 100ml of water
● 2 packs of sugar-free jelly of your choice
● To make the candied orange peel: use a potato peeler to pare off thin strips of zest. Cut them into strips about half a centimetre.
● Squeeze the orange juice and put it in a large pan together with the zest,
the sugar and water.
● Bring to the boil and once the zest is soft, pour off most of the syrup leaving enough to just cover the strips.
● Bring to a simmer and cook for approximately 30 more minutes until the zest looks translucent and caramelised.
● Roll the zest in sugar and dry on a rack.
● Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
● For the jelly: you can prepare two types of flavours and colours if you like in accordance with the pack instructions. I used lime and raspberry.
● Pour jelly into mini cups or shot glass and top with orange zest before serving.