- Cut the figs into eighths and put in a small pan. Add the lemon juice, sugar and water and bring to a simmer. Turn off and set aside to cool.
- Heat your oven to 200°C and toast the almonds for about 5 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Cut the honey cake into of pieces of about 1-2cm – depending how large your glasses are.
- Put a few pieces in each glass and spoon the Marsala over evenly.
- Use a slotted spoon to move the figs from the pan and arrange over the sponge. Add enough juice from the pan to moisten the cake but not so much it becomes sodden. Sprinkle over half the pomegranate seeds.
- Add the vanilla essence to the cream and beat it until it just holds its shape. This will be enough if you are using 8 glasses. If you are making it in a large bowl you may need to fold in the yoghurt too.
- Spoon the cream over the figs and top with the toasted almonds and pomegranate seeds before serving.
You can replace the Marsala with any sweet wine or even just use the syrup from the poached figs. And if you do not have fresh figs, tinned or bottled ones are perfect – no need to poach and you can use the syrup they are in to spoon over the cake. Make it in eight glasses (as shown) or in one large, glass, serving bowl.