- Soak the chickpeas in cold water for 5 – 8 hours, rinse several times and then drain. You may wish to use a variety or mix several kinds of pulses together.
- Heat a large saucepan with vegetable oil.
- Pan fry the onions, coriander, cumin and smoked paprika.
- Transfer to an ovenware dish or crockpot.
- Stir in the salt, lentils butternut squash, rice, garlic, tomatoes.
- Add water to cover plus 400ml.
- Sit the eggs inside the mixture.
- Cook tightly covered and bake at 100°C for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, dig out the eggs, shell them and slice in quarters. Garnish with sprigs of parsley.
Including a colourful combination of root vegetables will enhance the ‘brown’ appearance typical of the traditional cholent recipes.
NB: The dried beans need at least a few hours in advance to soak. You will also need a slow cooker, oven safe saucepan or Shabbat hot plate safe to leave on all night.