Boxing

GB athletes boosted by major deal

December 10, 2008

Maccabi GB has continued its preparations for next summer’s 18th Maccabiah Games by announcing a new and unprecedented partnership deal with Village Hotels worth in the region of a quarter of a million pounds.

The agreement will see Village Hotels offering complimentary membership of their state-of-the-art fitness clubs to each member of Team GB taking part in the Maccabiah Games in Israel in July 2009.

More..

Salita eyes up Hatton

By Mike Sinclair, December 4, 2008

Dmitriy Salita, the unbeaten light-welterweight who was denied a shot at the WBA world title when champion Andreas Kotelnik pulled out of the fight, has turned his attention to Ricky Hatton.

Having watched Hatton's 11th round stoppage victory over American Paulie Malignaggi, Brooklyn-based Salita fancies his chances against the Manchester "Hitman".

"I want to fight him," said 26-year-old Salita. "I see a lot of mistakes. His defence is not good. He can be hit clean, and he's not too active in the ring.

More..

Big Macc squeezed on funds

By Simon Griver and Danny Caro, December 4, 2008

There are fears that next year's Jewish Olympics could be scaled down as a result of the credit crunch.

The latest financial crisis engulfing July's Maccabiah Games revolves around the failure of the organisers to raise sufficient sponsorship funds due to the global recession.

More..

Salita title

By Mike Sinclair, November 13, 2008

Dmitriy Salita was taken the distance for the first time as he achieved his 29th successive victory on the undercard of the big Joe Calzaghe-Roy Jones Jnr bill at New York's Madison Square Garden.

The 27-year-old unbeaten light-welterweight took a unanimous points decision over Derrick Campos after 12 rounds to capture the vacant IBF Inter-Continental 10st title.

More..

Yuri back in form

By Mike Sinclair, October 23, 2008

Yuri Foreman, the unbeaten Jewish light-middleweight, won all ten rounds on the scorecards of all three judges as he took a landslide points decision over Vinroy Barrett in Atlantic City.

Foreman, ranked in the world top ten by boxing's four main sanctioning bodies the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO, took the decision by scores of 100-90 on all three cards in his first fight for six months.

More..

Roman in ruins

By Barry Toberman, September 4, 2008

A chastened Roman Greenberg is looking to restore his reputation after the first professional defeat of his 28-fight career.

Greenberg was pummelled to a second round stoppage by veteran Cedric Boswell in an IBF North American heavyweight title bout in Atlanta, Georgia, last Friday.

A devastating right put the UK-based Israeli in trouble and the referee stepped in after Boswell, 39, unleashed some ferocious punches.

More..

Salita gets title fight

By Mike Sinclair, August 21, 2008

Dmitriy Salita's dream of fighting for a world title is set to become a reality after he was named as challenger to WBA light-welterweight champion Andreas Kotelnik on November 8.

Team Salita have revealed that the fight has been agreed as support to the showdown between world light-heavyweight supremo Joe Calzaghe and 39-year-old modern-day American legend Roy Jones Jnr at New York's Madison Square Garden.

More..

Greenberg’s fighting chance

By Barry Toberman, August 15, 2008

Roman Greenberg will be heading for the big time if wins his IBF North American heavyweight title bout against American Cedric Boswell in Atlanta on August 29.

Maidenhead-based Greenberg has been out of the ring since he stretched his 100 per cent record to 27 victories with a points win over Colin Kenna in London last October.

His absence has been partly due to surgery on a troublesome right hand, which Greenberg said had been successful. "I can really punch with it now."

More..

Salita to raise curtain

By Mike Sinclair, July 18, 2008

Dmitriy Salita will fight on the undercard of the Joe Calzaghe v Roy Jones Jnr bill at New York’s Madison Square Garden on September 20 after signing a new promotional deal he hopes will take him to a world title.

The 26-year-old unbeaten light-welterweight’s fights will be screened by major American broadcaster HBO after he joined up with Square Ring Inc.

More..

Gloves come off as Maloney and Saperstein split

By Craig Silver, June 13, 2008

Promoter Frank Maloney has told Laura Saperstein to go back to her job as a lawyer and insisted he should never have got involved with women’s boxing.

Saperstein, 34, drew national attention after giving up her job to turn pro. But after winning her first three fights, two of which were under Maloney, she tired of her association.

The two parted company this week, even though she had signed up for a four-fight deal.

More..