Rones has FC Team heading for glory

December 2, 2008

Middlesex County League Division One:
Uxbridge Town 1 FC Team 2

FC Team claimed their first ever win in the Middlesex County League Division One six-pointer against Uxbridge Town.

Without star players Kieran Allen Curry and Matt Drage, FC Team headed to Uxbridge knowing that only three points would suffice. They set out in their usual 4-4-2 formation ready for a battle.

The Team started well with Mitch Lassman and Howson chasing down everything up front but with no openings. The defence, led by captain Paul Kent, were stopping most things going through in the opening 15 minutes and the team defending a flurry of corners well. Not many openings for both teams.

The visitors opened the scoring after 15 minutes. Jonny Breger fed Lassman down the right whose cross was deflected out for a corner. Player-manager Mitch Young stood over the ball and floated a corner to the back post which found his captain Paul Kent who powered the ball home to score his first of the season. 1-0 to team.

You could see the confidence coming through now and Team starting dominating affairs. Five minutes later Jules Noti booted a ball long that missed everyone. Lassman chased the ball down and with only the keeper to beat he hit the ball wide.

The next attack came when Adam Rones broke down the left wing and knocked it past his defender squared the ball to Breger whose 25 yard shot just went over. Team were standing strong James Korn and Paul Kent were winning everything and the full backs Gideon Moss and Whitehead were perfoming well.

The next chance came on the 30 minute mark - a crossfield ball by Breger found Young who from 25 yards struck a sweet half volley that the keeper did well to save. The last chance of the half came when Rones again found Howson whose first time effort beat the keeper but also beat the post.

Half time came and with Silverman stopping Uxbridge’s playmaker in midfield Team knew that they had to keep their concentration in the second half.

With words of wisdom from Peter Moss Team were ready for the second half.

Team started the second half as they ended the first dominating possession of the ball. Whereas in the first half a lot of the play was down the right hand side occupied by Moss and Young, the second half play was predominantly on the left-hand side with Whitehead and Rones. The pair worked tirelesly and the first five minutes of the second half Whitehead fourd Rones who cut inside and crossed to the far post where Young was just inches away from connecting to make it doubling Team’s advantage.

Moss then decided to change things around taking off Kevin Howson, who put in a great shift, and replacing him with the ever dangerous Lorian Madanes. Straight away Madanes was causing problems with his speed and skills.

Then came the move of the match after 70 minutes. Moss brought the ball out of the defence played the ball down the line to Young who played it inside to Lassman who gave it back to Young. Young then found Madanes wide on the right hand side who first time whipped an outstanding cross to the back post to the on running Adam Rones whose diving header beat the keeper to make it 2-0 to FC TEAM and spark wild celebrations.

In truth it was no more than the Team deserved.

Team knew they had to focus and work hard and with the midfield of Rones, Breger, Dan Silverman and Young working their behinds off they knew the other team could not match their work rate.

Team had further chances to kill the game. Moss hit the bar with a cross-cum-shot and Madanes should have scored after Young broke from midfield to play in Lassman who square it to Madanes with only the keeper to beat he hesitated with the goal at his mercy and the keeper smothered it.

Then FC TEAM were dealt a blow on the 93rd minute last kick of the game Uxbridge had a free kick. It was floated in on the keeper who caught the ball but slipped, allowing a home striker to shoot into an unguarded net.

That was the last kick of the game as the referee blew up and Team got their first win in the Middlesex County League against their relegation rivals in what was a fine Team performance.

Manager Mitch Young had this to say after the match: “I am so happy to get our first win. We knew it was a must win going into the game and we got the win. Just to see 12 players giving it their all for each other and the team is exactly what we stand for, you can’t ask anymore.

“Sometimes in football you don’t always get what you deserve but today we did. We dominated the match and Uxbridge could not match our passion and intensity. Paul Kent was outstanding along with the whole backline and I have never seen a midfield four work so hard as ours did today. I was very pleased with the performance of Adam Rones who popped up their with what proved to be the winner and generally I am just over the moon.

“We are starting to get things right and have had a good couple of weeks. We are now training twice a week and the squad is properly focused. To beat a team like Uxbridge Town without such players like Kieran Allen-Curry, Matt Drage and Ollie Segal proves we have strength in depth and this week we face Arsenal Deaf in a match where we are looking to get revenge from our embarrassing defeat a few weeks ago. We welcome back those three to the squad we are high on confidence we just make sure we produce the same amount of effort and focus in next weeks match. We move forward ready for the next challenge.”

“As chairman of the club, I just want to say it has been a fantastic weekend for FC TEAM. Our County team winning in the Middlesex county league our Sunday A Team winning and our Sunday B Team winning and both are in the top two in there respective divisions. Long may it continue and well done to all involved with the club.”

Last updated: 1:48pm, December 2 2008